The cheesemarket Alkmaar 2015 will take place from April 3rd untill september 4th, every friday from 10 am untill 12.30 pm on the Waagplein.
Thousands of visitors from all over the world visit Alkmaar for its cheese market, a particular spectacle which includes a market filled with cheese and hauling cheese carriers. In 1365 Alkmaar was granted weighing rights and a weighing scale, and in 1612 this numbr increased to four. Exactly when the first cheese market took place is shrouded in mystery. Old documents have been found that confirm the cheese market definately took place in 1622, but there is also evidence that the cheese bearer’s guild was founded in 1593; we can therefore deduce that there must have been a cheese market at that time as well.
Program (subject to confirmation):
- 09.50: Welcoming the visitors
- 09.55: Introduction of the bell-ringer
- 10.00: The bell is rung and the market is opened
- 10.05 – 10.50: Verbal presentation to visitors,
in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
- 10.50 – 11.15: Performance by the carillon
- 11.20 – 12.05: Verbal presentation to
visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French or Spanish
- 12.15 – 12.45 : Performance by the carillon
- 12.30: Cheese Market closes
Would you like to visit the cheesemarket with Amsterdam-VIP Tours? Please contact us to put a nice program together. With a nice scenic drive through the tulip fields for example!